Thursday, November 26, 2009

Baby Care - 3

Bathing
Regarding bathing, the baby's doctor will probably tell you no water baths for the baby until the umbilical cord drops off (about a couple of weeks) - just 'dry cleaning' until then. One thing to take note is to make sure to clean the neck and behind the ears everyday. D1 never got chubby so I never had trouble with his neck. But D2 was quite chubby and even when I think I have cleaned his neck properly, I still find stuff in there. You really have to make them turn their head this way and that (they don’t like it one bit), but the stuff that settle in their necks makes their skin red.

Lotion
My pediatrician is a very strong advocate about this and I agree, no lotions of any sort, no matter how natural the claim on the bottle. I just use almond oil (any organic oil will do - coconut and in a crunch even olive oil). I buy almond oil from an Asian grocery store, much cheaper than getting it from a wholefoods kind of store. J&J Mineral oil is a big fat No No. The molecules are too fine and tend to plug the pores, as compared to the organic oils which are literally fatter and stay on the surface where they need to be to provide a protective layer.
A new baby has very dry and thin skin. So I would put a little oil on it, but not on the creases (which look so red and raw). This goes away though and in a week or so the skin starts looking better (may still be dry though).

Soap
My pediatrician repeated this to me almost every time I took the baby in. The best soap is Ivory soap. Plain old ivory soap. Not even J&J baby soap. Ivory soap is supposed to be the most gentle soap in the market. I used it for both D1 and D2 and it certainly didn’t dry out their skin.

Ear Infections
Here I will unfortunately be of very little help. I was lucky enough that D1 and D2 didn’t get their first ear infection until Kindergarten. Which is apparently quite common.

Colds
When they do get colds, you know they can’t have any medications so the best you can do is use the little bulb to clear their nasal passages. Especially before nursing or feeding, so they can drink some milk. For sleep, when D1 was in the crib, I would hang his mattress so it was on a higher rung on one side and a lower one of the other side (just one rung apart though). Then make sure to put him to bed at the bottom of the crib, so his feet are close to the end. He is going to slide down anyway, but this way I can be sure he won’t get buried under a blanket or something. In the cradle I put a big book under one end to make a slight angle. It helps them breath easier.

Diaper Bags
I got a big bag from Lands End. It was nice, but I usually don’t need to use such a big bag. But that is because I really didn’t take the baby out for long periods of time. I usually did really short excursions between meals. So most feedings were at home for example, I rarely fed him outside the home. But depending on how you plan to spend your days you may want to think of the size of the bag. They are useful (although I don’t carry mine all the time). But one thing I would recommend if you think you will be using yours a lot is getting one that is like a backpack. It is quite a pain to have a bag hang from one shoulder and balance the baby on the other side, especially when you have to carry the baby in the carseat. It seems the bag is constantly slipping off. Big pain.

Sleeping
For sleeping I referred to a book called Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell. I read the book and then took stuff from Your Self-Confident Baby by Magda Gerber and Allison Johnson and developed my own plan for self-soothing and started from there. Go with what feels right for you. But remember don’t chose an option just because you are chicken about making tough decisions for your kid. Some tough love goes a long way in keeping both of you sane.
When I was expecting D1 I read and read up stuff. I knew nothing about babies. The stuff I am writing are things that worked for me and helped me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment